Saturday, November 2, 2013

Crossing the Golden X

Neptune Day started with a bang…literally. At 7:00am, the crew of the ship paraded around the decks making as much noise as possible. They were knocking on doors, playing drums and cymbals, and doing anything to wake everyone up. At 8:00am the PA announced that all Pollywogs (a person who hasn’t crossed the equator on a ship) were required on the 7th Deck for the Neptune Day ceremony.

 Crew Morning Parade

 My Cabin Steward, Auxilio!

Neptune Day is not unique to Semester at Sea. In fact, it dates back long before the program was created. It is a rite of passage, marking a sailor’s first crossing over the equator. Although it definitely is more along the lines of hazing for most ships participating in it, the MV Explorer makes it a fun filled day/morning. The hope is that the event brings the community closer together and is an opportunity to recommit to making positive contributions to this voyage, program, and long after.

Before the Ceremony - Pool Deck, Deck 7

During the Ceremony

By 8:00am, the Pool Deck was packed with students, faculty, and staff members. Then the Royal Court paraded led by King Neptune and Queen Minerva. The rest of the Royal Court was made up of people who have been on previous voyages and already crossed the equator. After some announcements by Master of Ceremonies, the ceremony began.

King Neptune (Captain Jeremy) & Queen Minerva (Dean of Students, Eddie)

King Neptune's Royal Court

 Executive Dean Nick & I (Both Buckeyes Fans!)

 Goddesses Julie, Megan, & Sarah (all on former voyages)

 To start off the initiation, each Pollywog is doused with “fish guts”. The Pollywog then jumps in the pool and swims to the ladder, where they must kiss a fish. After doing so, you must then give homage to the Queen Minerva and King Neptune. Apparently I didn’t do a good enough job, because King Neptune pushed me back into the pool when I tried to walk by him (I felt like I was on the show Wipe-Out). After successfully paying my respects again, I signed the book indicating I completed the ceremony and officially became an Emerald Shellback.

"Fish Guts" (still not exactly sure what it was)

Drenched with "Fish Guts"

Pool Jump/Fall

"Kiss the Fish"

There are different types of Shellbacks. There are the normal Shellbacks, who cross the equator; Golden Shellbacks, who cross the equator at the International Date Line; and finally Emerald Shellbacks, who cross the equator at the same time as they cross the prime meridian.

Another way to pay tribute to King Neptune is to shave your head (I don’t make up the rules). When I was offered the position on Semester at Sea, I had known about this tradition and made up my mind to shave my head while still in California. From the start of the ceremony, the lines were extremely long, though I couldn’t always tell if the people crowded around the barbers were waiting to get their hair cut or just watching their friend lose theirs. In total, 11 women shaved their heads (many more donated to Locks of Love or shaved a strip off) and approximately 70 men lost their hair. I waited towards the end before sitting down in the chair.

Before



 TA Matt, Myself, & Ruben (RD Janett's Husband) 

 After

8 of the 11 women who lost their hair

Lots of bald heads at 0°, 0°

The celebration continued on the Pool Deck through lunch as everyone was dancing and relaxing on the beautiful day. A little later, the MV Explorer passed the Golden X (0° Latitude, 0° Longitude)…and there was much rejoicing.

0° Latitude, 0° Longitude

Group Gathered to film a 50th Anniversary Video

I had 7 more days till we reached Cape Town, South Africa (with a quick stop to refuel in Namibia). I easily filled my time working on the upcoming Sea Olympics, but did find some time to relax and enjoy a number of movies that were being shown on the televisions: Pan’s Labyrinth (from Morocco to Ghana), Ghandi (from Morocco to Ghana), Invictus, In My Country, The Last King of Scotland, and part of District 13 (they only showed it for one day, so I was waiting to watch the entire movie again).

As close as I got to Namibia (no disembarkation, only refueling)

This is the second year in a row the MV Explorer has passed the equator on its way to Cape Town, South Africa. Someone mentioned the port authority in Cape Town must think the MV Explorer/Semester at Sea is some kind of “make-a-wish foundation voyage” or a ship of leukemia patients. Neither of those are correct…it’s just a ship full of Emerald Shellbacks.


“I don’t have to prove my worth and value to any but those I love, and that I do by being who I am, with confidence that those I love appreciate the good and accept the bad. Does anything else really matter?”

3 comments:

  1. Neptune Day certainly sounds like hazing - glad you all were able to do it, though - looked pretty awesome!

    Also, great fall into the pool - falling in siff-as-a-board is way cooler than jumping :)

    Good work shaving your head. Also, kudos to the 11 women who did it, too! Side note: now that you have a shaved head, make sure to put sunscreen on it - you don't want a sunburn there, trust me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish guts and kissing a fish. You do remember that you are allergic to fish?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes --- remember --- fish allergy!! Those better not have really been fish guts, and I hope the fish you kissed was fake! DAVID!! Geez Louise!! Remember what happened the last time you touched a fish!
    Namibia...I once met with the Ambassador of Namibia to the USA, while on a conference in DC. He was pretty cool........I always wanted to go visit his country. You came soooooo close!
    And.....Cape Town.....I would love to be there with you!

    p-o-p xo

    ReplyDelete