Sunday, November 10, 2013

Liars, Cheaters, Sharks, and More

The MV Explorer got into the Port of Cape Town at 5:30am; unfortunately, the ship had told us (and we had relayed to the students) we wouldn't be getting in till 7am. Throughout the voyage, everyone had been telling us to make sure to get up to watch the ship come in to Cape Town…as it is the best port to do so. Whoops. I woke up at 5:25am when the engines started rumbling (usually meaning we are starting up/coming to a stop), looked out my cabin window, and saw land about 30 feet away. I ran to the 7th deck and indeed, we were already in Cape Town and hardly anyone outside to see it. Now that being said…it was still a pretty awesome view to go outside and see Table Mountain towering over everything in the city (and the clouds rolling over it).

Table Mountain - Cape Town, South Africa


 Lion's Head (Left) & Lion's Rump (Right)

Another sight we saw was lots of parents/family members waiting at the dock. There was a Parent/Family trip planned in South Africa, and about 150 family members made the journey to Cape Town to be reunited with their son/daughter and to travel on a 4-day safari. Unfortunately, the Vale/Esson/Castrovince/Maykut clan couldn't make the Amazing Journey Connection to South Africa.

After getting the shipboard community through immigration, I ventured out with a group who were hanging around the city. Due to the duty schedule and my upcoming 4-day field program, this would be my only day in the city of Cape Town. Our group was wandering around town and I felt like something was missing…then I realized it: No one was grabbing at us or stepping aggressively in front of us to sell us something…it was a nice change of pace compared with Morocco and Ghana. Our group grabbed lunch at a place on Long Street. This is a major street located in the City Bowl section of Cape Town and is famous as a bohemian hang out. The street is lined with many book stores, ethnic restaurants, as well as bars – where the group decided we would all meet up again in a few hours to watch the Currie Cup Final.

Clay (the videographer, who would be going on the family trip) and I split off from the rest of the group, since this was our only day to venture up Table Mountain. We went to the trail head and decided we would just ride the Table Mountain Cableway (gondola) up to the top, hike around a bit, and come back down to meet up with everyone for the game. Unfortunately, even though it was a beautiful day, it was too windy near the top of the mountain, so the Cableway was not running. To hike up and down would take 4-5 hours total, so we decided against it (mainly since the game was starting in 3 hours). Instead, we walked around a bit, took some pictures, I bought a safari hat (to cover my now bald head), and we headed back down to the city.

Cape Town - View From Table Mountain

Table Mountain Cableway (not running)

The Currie Cup is South Africa’s premier domestic rugby union competition and the Championship rugby match in South Africa is equivalent to the Super Bowl in the US. In addition, Western Province (Cape Town’s team) was playing in the match against the Natal Sharks (Durban’s team) and the game was at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town. Some students were lucky enough to get tickets to the Currie Cup Final, which would have been awesome. I would have tried to do this as well, but unfortunately, I was on duty starting at 8pm and needed to be back on the ship. The stadium was on the western side of the city and apparently it was just a non-stop celebration for miles around. Long Street wasn't too exciting, but as the game time got closer, more and more people started showing up with their team’s colors (mainly Western Province). Western Province hadn't lost and had even beaten the Sharks twice during the season. The atmosphere of the bar we were in was great as the supporters were probably split 50/50. The Championship was really exciting until about half-way through the 2nd half when the Sharks pulled away. The Sharks ended up winning 33-19.

I chose to cheer for Western Province...which lost. Luckily I'm a Cleveland fan, so I know how to cope.

I headed back to the ship at 8pm and luckily had a quiet night on duty (especially since I had an early morning the following day). I did however “watch” Ohio State crush Penn State 63-14…one step closer to that Championship Game! Go Buckeyes!!

I was selected as the Trip Liaison for a 4-day/3 night field program called the Treetop Canopy & Elephant Back Safari…pretty awesome all around! At 7:00am, our group of 12 met for breakfast than boarded our 15-passenger van, which would be driving us throughout South Africa. In addition to the 12 SASers, we had a tour guide, Delia, and a driver, Ferdie (a huge Sharks supporter), who would be with us the whole way as well.

Our trip started off with a 4-hour drive to Garden Route Game Lodge, where we would be going on two safaris and spending the night. Along the way, Delia gave us a ton of information about South Africa and Cape Town. Delia has been the tour guide on past SAS trips and knew students tended to fall asleep on rides lasting more than 20 minutes, so after a little while, she put the microphone away and let the students rest. When we arrived at the Game Lodge, we ate lunch…oh and saw rhinos roaming around near the lodge. After lunch, our accommodations were ready, so I got my key and made my way to a chalet. SAS told everyone going on this trip to bring their own towel and toiletries, so I was not expecting much in terms of accommodations; however, the chalets at the Garden Route Game Lodge were beautiful. In addition, mine was the furthest out, so when I looked out from my porch, all I had was the African plains in front of me! Everyone had 2 hours to relax in their chalet or hang out by the pool before our evening game drive.

Garden Route Game Lodge

My Chalet (above) & View from the Porch (below)

We loaded up a 4x4 jeep for an open vehicle game drive with our guide, Ashley. He was extremely knowledgeable and could answer basically any question we asked. The game reserve is huge and is also home to the Big 5, which include Lions, Rhinoceros, Buffalo, Elephants, and Leopards. The Big 5 was a term coined by big-game hunters and refers to the five most difficult animals in Africa to hunt as well as the degree of danger involved. When going through the initial gate, I felt like I was entering Jurassic Park (“Eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right?”).  Here's some of the photos:

Passing through the Gate

 Zebras

Wildebeest

 Gemsbok

Buffalo

Giraffes

Sunset over the Africa Plains

Our guide, Ashley, explained that Lions sleep 20 hours per day. Ashley mentioned that the lion usually wakes up before sunset and wanders over towards the lionesses. We sat in one spot (about 30 yards from the lion) and I recorded my favorite set of photos (similar to many people's morning routine):

Lion Sleeping

 Alarm Goes Off - [yawn] "I'm still tired."

 Hit the Snooze - "Just.a few more minutes."

 Alarm #2 - "Okay...I really should get up"

 "It's so bright out"

 "I am hungry...I should get up." 

 "Okay...seriously...let's go."

 "There we go...the first step's the hardest."

 "A little morning stretch."

"Okay...I'm ready to take on the day."

Unfortunately, we couldn't find the cheetah on the first game drive. Our ranger, Ashley, was upset and explained that he hates the cheetah and hasn't been able to find him for the last four days. Ashley explained the cheetah even has a tracking collar, but it's still no use. Ashley then proceeded to get out of the vehicle and use the tracker to figure out which area the cheetah was in. Ashley didn't stop there...but started throwing rocks in the vicinity (to hopefully entice the cheetah to get up and move). Ashley even ventured out into the brush (not wise in my opinion), but still the cheetah stayed put.

We also couldn't find the rhinos, which was a bit more surprising...as they really can't hide. Better luck tomorrow!


 Trying to Find the Cheetah

After the highly successful game drive, we were greeted with some sherry and dinner upon our return. It was a relaxing night with clear, beautiful views of the night sky (easily the most stars I've ever seen). I will also add when I returned to my chalet, there were humongous bugs on my porch and door. I would later find out these were giant grasshoppers. I surprisingly found myself with some reception in my chalet, so I made a call home before calling it a night.

Welcome Back Sherry

We awoke early the next morning for a morning game drive (once again with Ashley) before returning for breakfast. We saw the rhinos, the lone elephant (his mate and baby died during complications with the birth one month ago), springbok...but still no cheetah.

Black Rhinos

 Elephant - Garden Route was in the process of bringing in more elephants

Springbok - The National Animal of South Africa

 Baby Springbok
After breakfast, we went to the Cheetah Conservation Center, where three of the cheetahs were located because they were “in heat” and needed to be fenced off from one another. I would have loved to see these animals in the wild (especially running), but seeing them and watching them wander around the enclosure wasn't too bad either.

A cheetah and lion are having a race. The cheetah wins. The lion says, you're a cheetah...the cheetah responds...you're just lion.

We finished our time with the Garden Route Game Lodge with a stop at the Reptile Center where you could see snakes (the most dangerous/venomous), alligators, and giant turtles (crawling towards shade). In addition to the Ploceidae or Weavers (small bird related to the finches). The male builds a nest to attract a female. If the female doesn't like it, the male will destroy it and try again…sounds familiar (just kidding).

 Giant Turtle & Crocodile

 Weaver Bird Nests

View of the African Plains

Ferdie drove us another 4 hours to our next stop, with a short break for lunch in the town of Knysna.

 Town of Knysna

Our next stop would be the Elephant Sanctuary in Plettenberg Bay!


"It is better, I think, to grab at the stars than to sit flustered because you know you cannot reach them."

3 comments:

  1. Finally - a post! I have been waiting!

    Total bummer on the early arrival in port. Still, you got several gorgeous pictures - the Lion Head/Rump was fantastic (as was the Sunset photo). I am sorry we couldn't meet you. If we had the money (time, flexibility at work, etc...) we totally would've been there --- vaccinated and malaria-pill filled and all! I think Cape Town would be an incredible adventure, and it sounds like it was!

    The fact that no one accosted you upon arrival was extremely refreshing. And it seems everywhere you go there is a pinnacle sporting event waiting for you.

    Ashley sounded very cool. That is...until he went wandering through the African brush looking for the missing cheetah. Now -- I once saw an angry cheetah at the zoo and it all but busted through the clad-iron bars to eat this annoying adolescent who thought harassing the animal was an appropriate thing to do. Luckily, he couldn't reach the kid...but I'm thinking Ashley was well within reach. An affectionate "Dingo" rolled through my mind.

    The lion sequence was funny. I know you told us about this, but seeing it made it a lot more comical.

    The lion/cheetah joke was humorous as well.

    I am very relieved that you made it through the safari without being trampled, bitten, stung, or eaten. Can't wait to hear about these elephants....

    Missin you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I really wish we could have surprised you in Cape Town. It looked beautiful, as did the little town of Knysna.
    I loved the Garden Route Game Lodge. I would have been happy to stay there, minus the Giant grasshoppers.
    The cheetah is such a beautiful animal. I also liked the baby springbok, so cute.
    Your picture of the African sunset looked right out of the movie, "Out of Africa".
    I am so happy that you have this opportunity. Enjoy!
    Oh, you look good in the safari hat.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have been funny if, realizing the miscommunication, someone got on the loudspeaker of the MV Explorer at like 5:00am to announce the ahead-of-schedule arrival. I'm sure folks would have liked that ;) Good job waking up when you did, though!

    Rapid comments;
    Smart move with the safari hat; great Jurassic Park quote; appreciated the lion play-by-play; nice cheetah/lion joke!

    ReplyDelete